skip to main | skip to sidebar

See lectures by course…

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Fall 2010

Accountability. That’s why I’m writing this post. If I write out my intentions, I’ll feel bad for not following through. This makes me accountable to myself.

The fall semester is beginning soon. I have three courses:

  1. SOCI 2445 with Darryl Davies: Criminology
  2. CHEM 1001 with Bob Burke: General Chemistry I (my first ever CUTV course)
  3. BIOL 1103 with Michael Weber: Foundations of Biology I
  4. CRCJ 3002: Qualitative Methods in Criminology with Nicolas Carrier
  5. PSYC 2001: Introduction to Research Methods in Psychology with Heather Poole

Based on my last three summer courses, I’ve found that what worked for me was:

  1. Writing notes from the lectures beforehand: I can’t do this with Criminology but for the other two, assuming the lecture notes are provided, this should be easy. It sets me up for writing in class notes better. I can write supporting facts rather than copying what’s already been provided.
    • Update December 2010: funnily enough, with three classes and 30 hours of work, this never happened. Not once. Once I realized that I had missed writing too many weeks of notes, there was never enough time to go back and make up for it. Discipline, discipline, discipline.
  2. Reviewing the notes directly after class: sometimes this means doing it when I get home at 9:30pm and haven’t eaten all day because I go from work to class and I haven’t planned my meals for the day (thank you turkey sandwiches!) But it definitely helped me review and rework the material into my brain.
    • Update December 2010: luckily, I managed to do this a few times. Not often enough, for sure, but it helped. I think this may have been the only reason I was able to stay on top of Criminology (having not read the book).

And the things that I want to start doing:

  1. Writing review questions during/after the lecture: what better way to quiz myself later than to write up questions that I can see being asked based on fresh knowledge?
  2. Reviewing my notes once a week: probably the hardest, least likely but most beneficial habit I could potentially develop.

Update December 2010: neither of the above happened. I’m always so hopeful. Perhaps Winter 2010 will be better.

0 comments: